[Koha] [EXTERNAL] [ByWater Partners] How do you do "Library of Things"?

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Fri Apr 12 09:36:31 NZST 2019

Hi, Chad--

Although we don't circulate these items, we do have some catalog records
that might be useful to how games and objects are cataloged--when we do
loan out items with loose materials that should be counted for completeness
on check in, we use the $3 field in the item record to mention it so it
shows up on check-in, and we write the same information on the item right
under the barcode.

Game:
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=35682
Game:
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=778&query_desc=
Object ("Clipper ship in a box"):
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=40339
Object: (painting):
https://keys.bywatersolutions.com/cgi-bin/koha/opac-detail.pl?biblionumber=38250

And although they don't use a Koha catalog (the sillies!:)), the library
where my husband is the cataloger has cataloged and circulated phone
charging cables, and they're among the most popular items circulated!
These are a couple of records for those in their catalog:
http://library.mills.edu/record=b1841580~S6
http://library.mills.edu/record=b1813575~S6

My local public library (another non-Koha library, the sillies) loans
electronics and tools such as these:
iPad: https://berkeley-public.org/record=b1738956~S11
Table saw:  https://berkeley-public.org/record=b1271585~S11

The Tool Lending Library branch does have separate and extensive tool
lending policies from borrowing all other materials, and they are here:
https://www.berkeleypubliclibrary.org/locations/tool-lending-library/borrowing-tools
Also, tools don't automatically renew, and fines are charged for late tools
and laptops (but not most other materials).

Hope this is helpful!  Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez (she, her, hers)
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Library catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/