[Koha] OPAC Search too slow in Koha 18.05.05

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Fri Nov 9 00:48:04 NZDT 2018

Actually, if you have Zebra facets enabled, turn them *off*. I believe that
they're enabled by default, and they're dog slow.

Zebra is *very* disk IO intensive. Make sure that its temporary directory
is being written to the fastest drive you have.

If you have the QueryFuzzy or QueryStemming system preferences enabled, be
aware that they don't like single letter words such as "A" or "I" --
essentially, they end up trying to search for 'a*' or 'i*'; on a slow file
system they can entirely time out and not return any results. Those system
preferences *do* provide for easier searching -- disabling them means that
keywords have to be typed exactly as they are in the record, so there's a
trade-off between speed and user utility, but if the searches are too slow,
it might be worth looking into.

Finally, take a look at ElasticSearch. It isn't at feature-parity with
Zebra in 18.05, but it might be worth a look.