[Koha] Listing all biblio records

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Wed May 30 05:13:01 NZST 2018

Hi Ah Win,

On Tue 29 May, 2018, 9:47 PM Ah Win, <ahwin2006 at gmail.com> wrote:

We are using one very simple software using MS Access for our school
> libraries in Myanmar and now we would like to use Koha integrated system.
> We would like to import our bibliographic data into Koha and now we are
> testing.

Being an MS Access based system it will be easy to export it out as a
spreadsheet. However that's where usually the fun begins :-) the first
thing to identify is whether all your data is in Latin script (i.e.
english) OR if your data also includes data in Burmese script. And if any
data in Burmese script - is it Unicode (UTF-8) or does it involve any ASCII
font replacement hacks for rendering it.

Next is to clean up the data, perform de-duplication of the items (holdings
data) and link them to unique bibliographic records. Now if your old
aoftware had uawd any internal unique key for linking the tables, you can
use this key as your de-duplication key OR if all your records have ISBN
that is also a good dedup key to use.

And while you do all that, you will be required to map your data into
proper marc21 fields as most legacy software are unlikely to be marc
compliant. This is a *crucial* step, where your librarian skills along with
IT skills will get tested the maximum.

Once you have de-duplicated the data, you have to add to the holdings
information like item-level-type, branch codes and also biblio level
itemtype to the biblio records.

Your next stop will be the MarcEdit software where you will need to
generate the unique biblio records marc file as well as the holdings marc
file. And finally if everything goes ok you will have to merge them to get
a new marc file. This is the file that you will import into Koha.

Word of advice if your final marc file is over 1000 Bibliographic records,
it will be helpful if you use MarcEdit to split it up into multiple files
of 1000 records each. Koha will have an easy time ingesting a 1000 records
file at a time, rather than one with say 25,000 records.

That's basically the story of any legacy migration from a non-MARC21
dataset.

Cheers
Indranil.