[Koha] Indexing a new field--what am I doing wrong?

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Thu Mar 29 11:01:31 NZDT 2018

Esteemed colleagues:

I'm trying to add three fields to the Advanced Search options in my Koha Local Authors catalog. This is a modified version of Koha that indexes Medline records (medical literature), for which I have added a few MARC fields and changed some others to make them fit Medline field tags. I changed the OPAC-results and OPAC-detail XSL files and opac-advsearch.tt and masthead.inc (though I think that changed back when I updated) to reflect the changed descriptions. You can see the current production site at www.medstarauthors.org.

Now I'm trying something a bit more difficult: I'm trying to index the 651 tag (Institution), 656 tag (Department), and 253 tag (Journal Name) so they can be searched. The 651 and 656 fields already exist, the 253 is new. The odd thing is that I got the 651 to display, but the 656 and 253 won't. If I go to Advanced Search and put "Harbor Hospital" in "Institution" I get 30 citations written by Harbor Hospital authors. If I try "surgery" or "urology" in "Department" or "New England Journal of Medicine" or even just plain "Medicine" in the "Journal" field, I come up with nothing.

Here are some excertps from the files I modified:

biblio-koha-indexdefs.xml

     <index_subfields tag="651" subfields="9">
     <target_index>Koha-Auth-Number:w</target_index>
     </index_subfields>

     <index_data_field tag="651">
     <target_index>Name-geographic:w</target_index>
     <!-- removed for authcat
         <target_index>Subject:w</target_index>
         <target_index>Subject:p</target_index>
     -->
     </index_data_field>

     <index_subfields tag="656" subfields="9">
     <target_index>Koha-Auth-Number:w</target_index>
     </index_subfields>

     <!--record.abs line 190: melm 656        Subject,Subject:p-->
     <index_data_field tag="656">
     <target_index>Subject-occupation:w</target_index>
     <target_index>Subject-occupation:p</target_index>
     <!-- authcat
         <target_index>Subject:w</target_index>
         <target_index>Subject:p</target_index>
     -->
     </index_data_field>

     <!--authcat-->
     <index_data_field tag="253">
     <target_index>Referenced-journal:w</target_index>
     <target_index>Referenced-journal:p</target_index>
     </index_data_field>

ccl.properties

     #Name-geographic        58  Name of a country,              651
     #                           jurisdiction, region, or
     #                           geographic feature.
     Name-geographic 1=Name-geographic
     Name-geographic-heading 1=Name-geographic-heading
     Name-geographic-see 1=Name-geographic-see
     Name-geographic-seealso 1=Name-geographic-seealso

     <!-- added for authcat -->
     inst Name-geographic

     <!-- added for authcat -- goes in the 656 field-->
     Subject-occupation 1=1221
     Subject-occupation 1=Subject-occupation
     dept Subject-occupation

[Note: I've tried it with Subject-occupation 1=1221 and 1=Subject-occupation together and singly; none worked.]

     Referenced-journal 1=1069
     Referenced-journal 1=Referenced-journal
     jrnl Referenced-journal

[Note: same here.]

opac-advsearch.tt

          <option value="ti">Title</option>
          <option value="au,wrdl">Author</option>
     <!-- added for authcat -->
          <option value="inst">Institution</option>
          <option value="dept">Department</option>
          <option value="jrnl">Journal</option>

The test site is at 159.65.234.53; I'm running Koha 17.11 and Ubuntu 16.04. I've run koha-rebuild-zebra -v -f authcat after each modification.

I'm probably overlooking something really simple that I've looked at too many times to notice. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm signing off for the evening; if anyone has questions I'll be back around 7:30 EDT Thursday morning.

Thank you,

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279
MedStar Authors Catalog: http://medstarauthors.org

Sometimes I wake up from a dream and then go back to it in disguise so I can find out what they're saying about me behind my back.
--Bill in Portland

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net<mailto:fred.king at medstar.net>