[Koha] Title search caching oddity

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Tue Mar 20 07:10:25 NZDT 2018

I've been working with one of our partner libraries trying to explain the
difference between title search by phrase and title keyword search the
example that he gave me was

    ti,phr: Little Women

This returned 39 results. Running the same search without using 'phr'

    ti: Little Women

yielded the same 39 results.

After poking around at all of the possible marc fields indexed as title, I
determined that there were indeed exactly 39 records containing the exact
string "Little Women" -- it struck me as odd that there would not be more
results in the keyword search... so I reversed the search terms:

    ti: Women Little returned 110 results

and

   ti,phr: Women LIttle

returned none. This is more like what I expected.

I went to file this as a bug, and on my next pass through, the keyword
search for 'LIttle Women' (in the original order) returned 110 results.

It's obvious that there's some sort of caching going on, but I have no idea
where.