[Koha] A friendly framework for patrons

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Thu Mar 15 04:03:13 NZDT 2018

Hi--

I'm going to get very "cataloger" here...:)  Please remember that each
institution may apply these tags differently, too.

Each of these tags is used slightly differently, for different purposes.
The 037 field tends to apply to a particular distributor of a published
item (like a commercially published book).  The 037 is repeatable, so
different distributors will be represented by their own 037 fields, with
their cost.

The 541 tends to be used for archival collections, a photograph, etc.--when
you have a bibliographic record representing a rather unique item.  So this
type of record will not have an 037 since there is no "distributor."  The
541 will represent the immediate source of acquisition of the unique item,
and if it was a purchase, the cost will be recorded in the 541.

The 841-88X are standard MARC21 fields for holdings, but we don't use
these--we use the Koha item records which are 952 fields (one item record
per item that can be paged).  So we record the particular cost of a
particular item, if we wish to, in the 952 $g (different from a replacement
price which is in the 952 $v).

I hope this helps clarify!

Best,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
L <https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/research-center.htm>ibrary
catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/