[Koha] [EXTERNAL] NCIP User Question - biblionum in 001 vs 999c

Joy Nelson joy at bywatersolutions.com
Fri Jul 27 08:17:51 NZST 2018

Hi Kelly and Heather!
In many other ILS systems the 001 was/is indeed a field that contained a
unique value (control number).  I still work with data from time to time
that has a unique id in the 001.  Heather is right that in Koha the unique
id is stored in the 999$c, so you can use the 001 field for whatever you
like.  Some sites put the oclc number in the 001, others just leave it
blank, or just take what comes when cataloging via z3950 (clutch your
pearls on that. :D )

Kelly, I have set up some sites to automatically copy the biblionumber to
the 001 tag.  Yes, it duplicates the data from the 999c to the 001, but it
is done programmatically at night so no upkeep would be needed by
cataloging staff.  As long as all your libraries are okay with this
configuration and don't plan to use the 001 for anything else, let us know
at ByWater and we can set this up for you.

joy