[Koha] Chat: very good description of Open Source software

Narcis Garcia informatica at actiu.net
Thu Jul 19 05:37:19 NZST 2018

This blog's article introduces serious confusions about FOSS movement.
Table reflects poor study when classifies Linux (and not GNU) as an
operating system, while Android is Linux-based too.

"Open source" only means consumers can see the design. Nothing more
about freedom. Many JavaScript programs can be understood as Open Source
while them are proprietary-licensed.

"Proprietary software is created and sold by a corporation" -> Same as
RedHat Linux, Virtuozzo, QCAD, etc. (all FOSS)

"Open source software (OSS) is created by a community of software
developers (programmers)" -> Most of OSS and FOSS programs are created
by a single person per project.

With the 4 enumerated freedoms it tries to simulate equality between OSS
and FOSS and "free as in beer".

El 18/07/18 a les 19:19, King, Fred ha escrit: