[Koha] How does the AutoEmailOpacUser preference work?

Arturo Longoria Arturo.Longoria at sll.texas.gov
Tue Jan 9 05:41:57 NZDT 2018

Hello,

Our library enabled the AutoEmailOpacUser preference so that patrons receive a notification of their account details when we create an account for them via the staff client -- http://manual.koha-community.org/17.11/en/administration.html#AutoEmailOPACUser -- and we've set AutoEmailPrimaryAddress to use the first valid e-mail found in the account.

But we've noticed that the e-mail is not always sent when the account includes a valid e-mail. The documentation does not mention any specifics, so I was wondering if anyone can explain how this feature works?

It seems to be sent only if the username field is blank AND there is a password included. I've found that if staff do not include a value in the password fields, the e-mail is not sent. If the password fields are filled out and staff also include a username, the e-mail is not sent.

Is this the intended behavior?

Arturo Longoria
Reference Librarian/Web Manager
Texas State Law Library