[Koha] Subject Headings Display in OPAC

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Sat Dec 8 09:48:35 NZDT 2018

On 2018-12-07 2:51 p.m., King, Fred wrote:
> Welcome! There's probably an easier way to do it, but I take out the 650 fields I don't want when I'm editing the MARC records. I figure our users probably don't need the subject headings in French, Spanish, German, etc. We're a very small library--the number of records our cataloging department* adds annually is in the low three figures--so that might not be the best solution for you. It does work, though.

If some/many/most of your records come via Z39.50 and contain 650
authorities, the "IT cost" of retaining a 650 (that another
bibliographer/cataloguer thought was useful) is trivial -- and the 650
could be useful one day to someone else further down the line -- so I
would suggest not deleting.

_However_, fine tuning this to LoC 650s only is perhaps more
challenging. Have you looked at using e.g. 690 for your local
authorities and not displaying them in OPAC?

You can eliminate them in your OPAC display by putting a suitable code#
structure › Edit subfields constraints > Advanced constraints:  e.g. 6
which takes it out of OPAC but leaves it editable by staff.

Best season's greetings -- Paul