[Koha] [EXTERNAL] Re: Connexion client alternatives

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Sat Apr 7 04:11:06 NZST 2018

Hi, all--

Pamela--I'm glad I'm not alone in my peculiar workflow!  ::high-five!::

And, Fred, Koha's breaking of lines in odd places is exactly why I just
copy the call number from the 050/090 field into the into the 952 $o on the
OCLC Connexion Client record, remove the $b & full-stop & correct the
spacing, then I copy that reformatted 952 $o call number & paste it into an
MS Word template and add correct line breaks for printing.  When I fill the
MS Word template of spine/item labels, then I print out the sheet & put
that sheet with the items for processing.

For serial issues, we copy the call number from the item record in Koha &
paste it into the MS Word template & add correct line breaks.

I don't know if it's possible to replace any of this workflow with MarcEdit
since MarcEdit is an unnecessary component of my workflow--I need to get
our holdings into OCLC for ILL purposes & need to get our holdings into
Koha, so I try to eliminate any other interfaces in that workflow.  If
there were a system preference where I could tell Koha where to insert line
breaks into LC call numbers so I could just copy, i.e., this into the MS
Word template (actual example--not made up):

4362
S22
P5
1859
U5
1859b

That would rock!

And, IMO, anyone who catalogs is a "real cataloger"--sure, we differ in how
long we've been cataloging, & how & how much we've learned, but anyone who
catalogs is a real cataloger to me.

Cheerio,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Library catalog: http://keys.bywatersolutions.com/