[Koha] Migrating Data from Koha 3.14 to Koha 16.11...

Zeno Tajoli z.tajoli at cineca.it
Fri May 12 17:59:44 NZST 2017

Hi Samuel and all,

>1.
>*Currently we're running Koha 3.14 on Ubuntu 12..*
>*What we would like to know is the best, recommended way of migrating the
>data from the old system to the new.

A new server is the best option.
Do you check this page: https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages ?
Do you work on MySQL problem ?
https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Koha_on_ubuntu_-_packages#Ubuntu_16.04_and_MySQL_5.7

>2.
>*I created a backup and am currently importing it into the new Koha
>system..
Correct

>it IS imported, but I'm running the schema upgrade. There have
>been some errors... so I don't know how it will all work out.

Do you log the output in a file ?
No ?
This is big problem. The schema upgrade is the real problem of a Koha migration.

So my suggestion:
-- drop database in thew new server
-- redone import of Koha 3.14 sql backup
-- You redo schema upgrade
-- Log output in file
-- Start to study the result.

A good idea is to do a diff of your real SQL schema after upgrade and the SQL schema
of a fresh Koha 16.11
The schema of 16.11.07 is here:
http://git.koha-community.org/gitweb/?p=koha.git;a=blob_plain;f=installer/data/mysql/kohastructure.sql;hb=cb487cbcaf3489bd8ff28e656af52ca8316fa63d

Every time your schema is different of the 'official' one, you have problem to check.

Many line of the log file are only warning on the quality of data (not unique, bad insert, etc.).

Be ready to work a lot on MySQL command line.

Post here (not to specific person) log sections that yuo don't understand
 and say Jovian to write to the list without problem.

Bye
Zeno Tajoli