[Koha] is koha right for our project run by volunteers?

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Tue Mar 14 08:46:11 NZDT 2017

Hi, all--

Like Bruce, I use Koha at work, and LIbraryThing for my personal library
and reading--I even turned on the circulation function of LibraryThing (I
felt like *such* a library nerd doing this, by the way!) because it's
proven so handy for when I lend people my books--I tend to forget to whom I
lent a book, or even that I've lent out a book--and if I don't care if they
return it or not, it lets me know that I might want to pick up another copy
when I'm in a used bookstore!

If people are interested, there's information on turning on the
LibraryThing circulation feature here:
http://blog.librarything.com/main/2015/02/new-feature-lending-a-k-a-circulation/

I've also met a lot of staff of small libraries using LibraryThing (or
LibraryThing's TinyCat) that really like it and find that it has met their
needs.  Another thing I like about LIbraryThing is that the data exports
easily, should a library (or personal user) find that they want more of an
ILS, like Koha.  Or if they just like playing with bib data!:)

And both have wonderfully friendly and helpful communities!

Cheerio!
--h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/research-center.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg