[Koha] Koha circ & fine rules based on CCODE instead of item type

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Fri Jun 2 02:54:29 NZST 2017

Hi, all--

I have missed having an item's location be a consideration in the loan
table--in other systems that I've used, location was a factor in the system
calculating whether or not an item could be circulated.  In Koha, I think
this would mean adding an item record's Shelving Location (MARC field 952
$c) as a criteria to the Circulation and Fine Rules table.  In our library,
I think this would allow "All" patron categories to not be able to check
out items in such locations as Public Reference and Rare, which would be
great.  As it is now, when I catalog items to these locations, I have to
set the MARC field 952 $7 "Not For Loan" field upon cataloging--in OCLC,
952 $7 1.

So, Christopher, if this were a feasible solution, could such CCodes
as "picture
books, young adult, large print, new books," be Shelving Locations (952 $c)
and thus possible for a development to add that as a criteria to the
Circulation and Fine Rules table?  In a multi-branch setting, something
like, "North picture books," "South young adult," "West large print," etc.?

Cheers,
h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
2 Marina Blvd., Bldg. E, 3rd floor, San Francisco, CA  94123-1284
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
https://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/research-center.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg