[Koha] Koha capacity planning advice?

Chris Brown chris at stayawake.co.uk
Sat Jul 22 20:00:50 NZST 2017

Gentle Reader,

We are considering using Koha amongst a group of volunteer-run libraries
here in Sheffield (UK). We'd probably host it on a machine "in the cloud"
and I am looking for advice on how much capacity we need to plan for (CPU
power, RAM, disk space etc). As a very rough guide, we might need to
support up to six libraries each with around 4,000 books and 1,000 users.
It is hard to estimate transaction rates but I wouldn't anticipate we would
ever exceed 20 checkout/checkin operations per minute (aggregated over all
the libraries) and the average would be much less.

Any advice would be appreciated. In particular if anyone is hosting Koha
using Amazon Web Services, which machine type are you using?

Thanks and Best Regards,

Chris Brown (Volunteer at Greenhill Library, Sheffield)