[Koha] How to correct misspellings etc. in Koha?

Michael Kuhn mik at adminkuhn.ch
Wed Apr 5 05:31:34 NZST 2017

Hi Marc

> Misspellings and other issues in translations can have several reasons.
>
> - Real misspellings in Pootle. They can be fixed directly on
> translate.koha-community.org , e.g. for de-DE or de-CH

Today I have made corrections for the tests of about 20 Koha system
preferences in the german translation. Since this is a quite tiresome
process I decided to continue later.

> - Inconsistencies in vocabulary (like the one you mention with the
> German translation of categories).
>
> - Wrong syntax because of sentence splitting by html tags in the
> template files. I tried to fix a couple of them to make translation
> smoother (Do a search after 'translatability' in Bug tracker) . I'm
> quite sure there are more such sentence splittings and other template
> issues to fix. They will have to go through the bug cycle (file a bug,
> fix it, get a sign-off, QA...)
>
> - Ambiguous words (same word in English - several meanings in
> translations). A related bug is: Bug 11285 - Vocabulary disambiguation

I had already contact with Katrin Fischer about these subjects. It
doesn't seem like there could be a true solution to such inbred
translation problems - so I will just live with them and be happy to at
least correct some misspellings.

To me it seems the problem is not the translation but the techniques
that are used to inject the various languages. Since these cannot be
changed in the near future it makes no sense to me to invest too much time.

> You write that you have collected quite a lot of misspellings. It would
> be interesting to have a list of your findings. Can you file a bug with
> your list? We can then figure out how to fix (Pootle, changes to
> templates...), and use this bug as umbrella.

I have just corrected them in the German translation (de-DE).

> PS: As you probably know I'm helping with the German translation, and
> back in 2012 I initiated the German translation with Swiss orthography
> (mainly for school libraries). The work flow for the Swiss version
> depends on the German version. If you have questions, feel free to get
> in touch directly.

So I hope the my corrections will kind of "automatically" find their way
into the Swiss German (de-CH) translation. Though, so far I'm not using
or promoting this translation.

Best wishes: Michael