[Koha] Multiple Classification Schemes

JStall jstallings at tsas.org
Sun Sep 18 13:01:39 NZST 2016

I hope this is a complicated question with a simple answer.

I would like to classify the non-fiction books in our collection under Dewey
and the fiction under BISAC (or another genre system with higher
specificity), but there does not seem to be a way to pull the MARC 084 field
into the Koha call number field 952$o when I have it already pulling from
082ab for Dewey.

Is there a syntax for system preference itemcallnumber that would allow me
to pull multiple fields (e.g. "084a, 082ab") into the call number? If there
happened to be two in the record I could simply erase the one I didn't need
while cataloging the items. I set up a new framework thinking there would be
an option to map this differently, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

How do libraries with different material type collections handle call
numbers?

If I want to be really wild with this and pull the MARC 650 field
(containing BISAC subjects) into the item call number Koha field 952$o,
resulting in call numbers such as FICTION / Literary, is that going to mess
with the filing of the item records in the shelf browser? I could add a
cutter as I do with Dewey or last name if that would help.

Finally, what are the rules of the "generic" call number filing rules? There
does not seem to be any way to alter those, and creating a new rule doesn't
seem to change anything, as I have only DDC, LCC, and generic filing
routines to choose from.

Because I am able to choose the source of classification scheme when
creating an item I assume this is not uncharted territory, but I am at a
loss.

Thank you for your help.
JS