[Koha] Linking subject authority records to 650 via MarcEdit?
craig.butosi at rcmusic.ca
Wed Nov 9 09:26:26 NZDT 2016
Hi Brain Trust,
Koha 16.05.03 on Ubuntu 14.04 (package install)
I am seeking advice for the following:
Problem: 650 field text in bib records are not linked to Koha authorities database (via $9), but the text itself has been validated against LCSH (using OpenRefine). In other words, the text is in its authorized form, just not linked to its auth record.
Solution: Link 650 field data with its extant authority using MarcEdit
1. Run a Koha report to extract biblionumbers from records based on some Subject (i.e., "Symphonies")
2. Import these records from Koha into MarcEdit using the batch search function on "Record Number" (upload a plain-text file with biblionumbers only)
3. Check that 650 data is in its authorized form.
4. Append a $9 subfield with the appropriate RLIN number to the batch (i.e., 650 //$aSymphonies --> 650 //$aSymphonies $917)
5. Upload batch back into Koha db.
1. Have any of you linked authority records to controlled variable fields using this method?
2. Is there anything I am missing?
3. Is this an utterly dangerous and careless way to be linking controlled fields to the Koha authorities db?
Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons.)
LIBRARY SERVICES MANAGER
the royal conservatory
TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning
273 Bloor Street West
Toronto, ON M5S 1W2
Note: This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the recipient of this email is not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the email to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying or other use of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this message and attachments from your system, thank you.
More information about the Koha