[Koha] Curious behaviour with batch modified records - ghost fields

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Nov 8 07:54:09 NZDT 2016

We're running 3.22.07 in the test site. I was testing out some batch
modification to biblios in Koha.
I started out with 440 records that needed to be fixed, but because of a
glitch in my report, I didn't capture all the biblio numbers the first go
round and had to do the modification twice to catch the last 53.

​The modification: If there was a 245$h present in the record (from a list
of biblio numbers), it should be deleted.
The first batch of records worked fine.​

I checked my results with an advanced search and discovered the 53 records
my report had missed, rewrote the report, and picked up those biblio numbers

When I applied the same modification to the last batch of 53 records,
something strange happened.

Running the same advanced search that turned up the stragglers, I found
they were still coming up in the results.

Looking at the records in the results list,  the field was still
displaying.  But when I looked at the MARC view, it was not there.
We ran a complete re-index of the data, cleared the browser history, even
shut everything down and rebooted my laptop. But these records persist in
being found by searching something that isn't there.  And displaying
something that isn't there.

I have found a way to force this behaviour to stop.  If I open the record
for editing, and then close it again (without touching anything), the ghost
field stops haunting the record. It looks and behaves in searches as it
should.

Any ideas why this is happening, and more importantly how to fix it?
Or have I dug up another bug?

(for the superstitious among you, I was working on these batch
modifications on October 31st).
--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler