[Koha] OPAC searches fail with ICU indexing enabled

Andreas Roussos arouss1980 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 19:15:01 NZST 2016

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Please see my answers inline below:

On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 4:51 AM, David Cook <dcook at prosentient.com.au>
wrote:

> Hi Andreas,
>
> This problem looks a little familiar. I have a few questions.
>
> You find 335 records using yaz-client. Are you able to view those records
> using "show" in yaz-client?

Yes, I can view the records using "show", or "show 1", "show 42" etc.

> Also where are you seeing the following error:
>
> > Error:
> > :8: parser error : Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
> > Τιμόθεον Β΄-Ï€Ï Î¿Ï‚ Τίτον-Ï€ ^
>
> Is that in a file in your /var/log/koha/imp directory?

No, this is actually displayed in my web browser when searching in OPAC.

> Also, those instructions at
> https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Correcting_Search_of_Arabic_records
> look a bit suboptimal...
>
> Are you using packages? Did you run the following?
>
> sudo koha-restart-zebra {yourinstance}
> sudo koha-rebuild-zebra -f {yourinstance}

Yes, I'm using packages and I've run both zebra commands.

> That parser error doesn't look super helpful... using Windows-1251 0xCF is
> Ï, 3C is <, / is 2F. With UTF-8, χ is 0xce 0xa7 and ό is 0xce 0x8c. So
> there isn't a clear relation there. If I had to guess, I'd say that Zebra
> thinks it's using ICU and UTF-8 but the data is still stored as Latin-1.

What I find odd is that other searches in OPAC for Greek characters work
fine and return records (for example searching for "[α.β.]", "[α.ό.]"). It
looks as if there's something contained in the results for "[χ.ό.]" that
causes the failure.

Failing that... I have some other more in-depth troubleshooting ideas.

I'd be more than happy to hear those :-)

> David Cook
> Systems Librarian
>
> Prosentient Systems
> 72/330 Wattle St