[Koha] Introduction and questions about defaults configuration

Peter Bradley peredur.net at gmail.com
Wed May 4 00:36:53 NZST 2016

Hi,

I'm a retired librarian interested in some local community library projects.

To this end I'm interested in being able to suggest Free/OSS library
automation solutions to groups of people who may not normally think
about using IT solutions because they either consider them to be too
costly or too complicated.

So what I'm planning to do is to set up a demonstration system on a
redundant desktop box I've got kicking about the house.  This will be a
local system (i.e. will not have contact to the wider network) and so
far I've got as far as installing Debian and Koha (via the Debian
packages).  MySQL is also installed.

I do have a couple of questions, if I may.

Having got as far as I mention above, the documentation then talks about
configuring the defaults.  There appear to be two: DOMAIN and
INTRASUFFIX.  What would I set DOMAIN to, if I wanted other computers on
the local network to connect to Koha.  Presumably I could always use
'localhost' for connections from the server itself and the server's NAT
address (192.168.x.x) from other boxes, or have I misunderstood?  But a
nice domain name would be more impressive and less scary to the people I
have in mind, so how would I go about setting that?

And finally, what is INTRASUFFIX and what should I set it to?  It means
absolutely nothing to me.

Many thanks for any help.

Peter
--
Yn rhedeg 5k Caerdydd i Tomorrow's Generation
<http://tomorrowsgeneration.co.uk/>