[Koha] Google Authentication to all gmail account.

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Tue May 3 02:31:16 NZST 2016

When I first read this, I was thinking from the standpoint of an
institutional library that issues e-mail accounts via one of the Google
Apps for My Domain programs (ie: Google Apps for Ed/Gov/Work). Otherwise,
it seems like you're favoring one kind of e-mail account that, while
popular, still only accounts for a small fraction of potential users.

With an institutional Google Apps domain, it is possible now to set up the
domain as a SAML identity provider, and set up Koha as a saml service
provider (via Shibboleth
<https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Shibboleth_Configuration>) that will
trust the Google Apps domain. This still won't create accounts on the fly,
but in this context you have an authoritative source of users you could
periodically batch-preload into Koha.
​
Incidentally, reading the original bug report for 10988, this configuration
would also completely satisfy that use case. Oauth support is useful for
it's own merits, but saml is probably the better choice in the context of
allowing users within an institution to log in to both services via a
single account. Oauth is better when you are allowing users from outside
the institution.

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
402.363.5603
*jcoehoorn at york.edu <jcoehoorn at york.edu>*

The mission of York College is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family, and society