[Koha] [ByWater Partners] OT: Makerspaces and soldering

Barton Chittenden barton at bywatersolutions.com
Wed Jun 8 01:07:47 NZST 2016

I can only speak from my experience at my local makerspace:

   - It's necessary to sign a release simply to visit the space... there's
   a lot of dangerous stuff in there like laser cutters, woodworking
   equipment, metal working equipment etc.
   - All equipment has a QR code that links to the makerspace wiki. This
   includes contact information about who to ask for safe operation of the
   equipment. New guests are highly encouraged to ask.
   - The first part of any workshop is the safety lecture. The one
   additional warning that I remember from the soldering workshop is that both
   solder and flux contain heavy metals (lead, and maybe a bit of mucury,
   IIRC), so you have to wash your hands after working with the stuff.

--Barton