[Koha] Handling student worker accounts

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Thu Jun 9 04:13:29 NZST 2016

If you are going to create a shared login, change the password every
semester. Otherwise, you're leaving a backdoor open for anyone who has the
password from previous semesters.

We get volunteers, interns, etc. coming through.  I set up a basic account,
and if they're here for a known time frame, I set the expiration date for
the end of that time. But it's usually a very small number.

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 9:15 PM, Eric Phetteplace <ephetteplace at cca.edu>
wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Thanks—Duplicate looks quite handy. I hadn't seen that.
>
> I doubt we'll go the way of creating a second account for each work study
> student, that seems kind of the worst of both worlds as now it's more work
> to set up than a shared login *and* it's a fake account. I'm not too
> concerned about knowing exactly who performed what work for these accounts
> though I suppose that's worth keeping in mind as a potential downside.
>
> Best,
> Eric Phetteplace
> Systems Librarian
> California College of the Arts
> libraries.cca.edu | vault.cca.edu
> 510.594.3660
> 2>/dev/null
>
> On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Doug Dearden <dearden at sarsf.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi Eric,
> >
> > From a system admin viewpoint I never create generic logins for users.
> > The reason is that if you have to investigate something after the fact,
> and
> > a log file indicates that "Librarian1" was the username you don't know
> who
> > that is if it is shared amongst several people.  Better to create a
> > separate user name for everyone that is going to be using the system.
> You
> > could create a second patron account for these work study students to use
> > when they are working at the library, that would then be deleted at the
> end
> > of the semester leaving their regular account intact.
> >
> > Regarding your "roles" question, Koha does have a Duplicate function.  If
> > you create a "work study" user, assign it all the appropriate
> permissions,
> > you can then edit the user and use the Duplicate function to make a new
> > user with the same permissions, and just fill in the necessary fields for
> > individual identification.
> >
> > Good luck, and welcome!
> >
> > Doug

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)