[Koha] Handling student worker accounts

Doug Dearden dearden at sarsf.org
Sat Jun 4 07:48:59 NZST 2016

Hi Eric,

From a system admin viewpoint I never create generic logins for users.  The reason is that if you have to investigate something after the fact, and a log file indicates that "Librarian1" was the username you don't know who that is if it is shared amongst several people.  Better to create a separate user name for everyone that is going to be using the system.  You could create a second patron account for these work study students to use when they are working at the library, that would then be deleted at the end of the semester leaving their regular account intact.

Regarding your "roles" question, Koha does have a Duplicate function.  If you create a "work study" user, assign it all the appropriate permissions, you can then edit the user and use the Duplicate function to make a new user with the same permissions, and just fill in the necessary fields for individual identification.

Good luck, and welcome!

Doug