[Koha] Search Sort by Title (A-Z) for non-Latin alphabets?

Cunningham, Keah M keah at ku.edu
Fri Jul 8 04:59:10 NZST 2016

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has the Sort by Title (A-Z) working properly in Koha.  Currently, any foreign language materials that have titles in languages that use non-Latin alphabets do not sort by title correctly.  Here is an example OPAC search for Russian films:  http://catalog.egarc.ku.edu/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?idx=kw&idx=kw&idx=kw&limit=callnum%2Cwrdl%3ARUSS&limit=mc-itype%2Cphr%3ADVD&limit=mc-itype%2Cphr%3ARDVD&sort_by=title_az&do=Search.  Koha seems to sort the results by character count ... but there is no alphabetizing at all.  Two records with Вий as the title are listed as #3 and #6; with identical titles, they should be next to each other.

I found this post (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.misc.koha/19912/match=cyrillic+title), and I think it will do what we want.  However, I am curious about other languages that are script-based (e.g., Mandarin, Korean, etc.) or that read Left-to-Right (e.g., Hebrew, Arabic, etc.).  Is there some sort of catch-all to make this work?  Or how are others addressing the issue?  Creating Reports in Koha that sort by title do in fact alphabetize correctly, so it seems to be a limitation of the search/Zebra rather than Koha as a whole.

Thanks in advance,
Keah

--
Keah Cunningham