[Koha] Koha and OAI-PMH

Coehoorn, Joel jcoehoorn at york.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:24:34 NZDT 2016

It sounds like she's talking about using a program that acts kind of like a
web search crawler, similar to how Googlebot operates, to push information
into Koha.

If that's the case, I don't think Koha would be a good solution for this
right now, though you might get something working via a z39.50 connection.

It may be that she's asking if Koha can store and serve/circulate harvested
digital content directly. Again, I don't believe Koha in it's current form
would be good at this. Koha does not currently provide any place to store
binary files for circulation.

It may also be that she's asking if she can use Koha as a front end into
something like DSpace <http://www.dspace.org/> or Greenstone
<http://www.greenstone.org/>.

If that's the case, I believe Koha can do this right now, but the setup is
not yet easy or straightforward. In a nutshell, you would want to enter
marc records for each item in the repository, just like you do for current
materials, but you would want to use item types and a custom framework so
that the material is presented well.

I would welcome improvements in Koha to support any of those scenarios.
Ultimately, I think Koha needs to evolve to have better support for digital
materials. At a minimum, this means a first-class framework for URL-only
item types along with first-class integration into systems like DSpace,
where a user might end up checking-out some digital content stored there (a
record is created in the issues table) that doesn't need to check back in.
As distasteful as it may be, this probably needs to also include some kind
of copyright enforcement mechanism, to allow libraries to easily comply
with external licensing requirements.

Joel Coehoorn
Director of Information Technology
402.363.5603
*jcoehoorn at york.edu <jcoehoorn at york.edu>*

The mission of York College is to transform lives through
Christ-centered education and to equip students for lifelong service to
God, family, and society