[Koha] Wiki certificate

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Wed Feb 3 04:51:45 NZDT 2016

At 07:04 AM 2/2/2016 +0100, Mirko Tietgen wrote:
>Paul,
>Paul A schrieb am 31.01.2016
> > a) Win XP has a market penetration of one in every nine or ten
> > computers world wide;
>According to w3cschools.com, Windows XP has a marketshare of 2,3%
>(December 2015)[1]

W3 is "collected from W3Schools' log-files" (perhaps statistically a
specialized and/or minor subset of the WWW?) and the source I quoted in my
first email
<https://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0>
gives a worldwide market share of 11.42% (January 2016) -- their
methodology available on their website. StatCounter
<http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-ww-monthly-201601-201601-bar> is a
little lower (but still 3.5 times higher than W3) -- which is why I wrote
"one in every nine or ten".

> > I might guess that this percentage is higher
> > outside the "Western world" where libraries are perhaps just as
> > important, or more so, than in "developed countries."
>
>Citation needed.

"For example, in North America usage of Windows XP has dropped to 4.7%, but
in Asia it is still 13.6% (even higher in China, at 30%; and India)"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems> -- you can
also pick by area/country on the StatCounter URL I gave above.

I have no axe to grind -- except that I see Koha as (a) an internal
management tool, and (b) as the _public_, _worldwide_ interface to our
holdings, this latter being very important to our goals. Hence my interest
in this type of statistics.

But we might be wandering a bit off-topic for this list...

Best -- Paul

> > Nothing to do
> > with pyramids, but whether or not the Koha Wiki is important to
> > them, I'll leave up to you...
>
>My guess is that this percentage is higher in western
>administrations that rather pay extra support fees than get their
>act together and migrate to a recent operating system, because they
>rely on custom software developed around the time of pyramids that
>requires XP.
>
>I live in Berlin. 28.902 of 70.223 Computers the Senate of Berlin is
>responsible for were runnuning Windows XP end of October 2014. They
>paid 300.000€ to get extra support from Microsoft until April
>2015.[2] At that point the data security officer demanded 10.000s of
>Computers running XP to be shut down immediately. Microsoft agreed
>to renew the support contract once again.
>
>In this case the information went public. I really don't want to
>know how many cases like that we have in Germany alone. I don't know
>what the status is today, but I have guess.
>
>Fun fact: There were also 320 Servers running Windows 2003 Server
>mid-2015, the extended support contract was supposed to cost about a
>million Euro.[3]
>
> > As to paying Microsoft's licensing fees, we're a charity and prefer
> > spending our budget on outreach to school children, rather than
> > financing Redmond.
>
>Which means you are running a completely unsupported operating
>system on some of your computers. That's scary. Good to hear you
>plan to end that.
>
>-- Mirko
>

>[1] http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
>[2]
>http://pardok.parlament-berlin.de/starweb/adis/citat/VT/17/SchrAnfr/s17-15656.pdf
>(German)
>[3]
>http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Windows-Server-2003-Berliner-Senat-vor-sicherheitstechnischer-Herausforderung-2766718.html
>(German)
>

> > At 08:58 PM 1/30/2016 +0100, Mirko Tietgen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Paul A schrieb am 30.01.2016

> >> No, it won't. XP was dead before LE was born. It will probably not
> >> work for other ancient stuff, like pyramids.
> >>
> >> Wikipedia[1] says

] Extended support endded  on