[Koha] FW: Problems with migrating from Koha 16.05 to 16.11

David Whelchel dlwhelchel at outlook.com
Fri Dec 30 12:47:02 NZDT 2016

Good afternoon Chris,

As promised here is my report on the latest permutation of a fresh Koha installation. After reading again the instructions for installing Koha on Debian I discovered that I was referring to an out-of-date document. The Dec 13, 2016 online wiki page was much improved.  So here is what I was able to do.

 1) installed latest debian-8.6.0-amd64-netinst.iso for my dev system
 2) installed and configured Koha 16.05.06.000 from the package distribution
 3) exported Koha 16.05.05.000 from production to the dev system
 4) re indexed the database to show the items in the catalog
 5) ran a number of the saved reports and spot-checked  a variety of catalog records and patron entries

All appeared to go well with one exception. While the staff web client works on the port 8080, the OPAC public client points to the apache2 "It works!" page. I tried both with the DNS and IP addressing with the same results. I also looked at a number of suggestions on the web about managing the koha.conf and 000xx.conf files. I am sure that there is a difference between the way virtual hosts changed between the old system I am an using in prod and the way apache2 works in the newest Debian.  I just don’t have enough experience with this part of the process to make it work. I'll keep digging, but if there is any information on how to properly configure the virtual hosts it would be helpful.

Also when I get the dev system OPAC web client working what is the magic to update this system to the 16.11.x branch?

Again - Than you Chris for your work on Koha (By the way the music was good ;-) --)

--Dave
David L. Whelchel
725 SE Derby Street
Pullman, WA 99163