[Koha] Hello from Vermont

King, Fred Fred.King at Medstar.net
Tue Aug 30 03:03:58 NZST 2016

Welcome to Koha! One of the reasons I was able to convince my employers to switch to Koha was that I presented them with a demo that consisted of a fully-functional system. Sounds like you're on your way. As for tweaking it, I agree with Brooke--set up a virtual system (or several--one barebones, one that's configured for your library, one with data, etc.) and keep playing around until it's perfect.

And feel free to ask questions. Someone here usually knows the answer.

Fred King
fred.king at medstar.net
202-877-6670
ORCID 0000-0001-5266-0279

Free the bound periodicals!
--Ancient library joke

-----Original Message-----
From: Koha [mailto:koha-bounces at lists.katipo.co.nz] On Behalf Of Mark Alexander
Sent: Sunday, August 28, 2016 6:22 PM
To: koha
Subject: [Koha] Hello from Vermont

Hi all,

I'm a retired software geek, now living in a small town in Vermont
after many years in Silicon Valley.  I've been using Linux on my own
computers for 20 years, and have hacked on everything from microkernels
in assembly language to web apps in Ruby on Rails.

I also spent a year in NZ as a child and still consider it as my first
home, and miss it very much, though I've not been back since.  It's
cool to see such great open source software originating from my old
homeland.

Our town library currently uses proprietary software from Mandarin,
but I've been investigating what it would take to convert to Koha.
Many libraries here in Vermont are in a consortium that is using Koha
hosted by a commercial vendor.  But the consortium is closed to
new members.

So to see what it would take for us to build our own Koha installation
from scratch, I installed 16.05 (using git) in an Ubuntu 14.04 virtual
machine and have started to play around with it.  I've exported our
catalog (about 22K items) from Mandarin into a MARC dump.  Now I'm
figuring out what I need to do to import these records and correctly
set things like the item call number and item type.  I may ask some
questions later if I get stuck.

--Mark
Koha mailing

MedStar Health is a not-for-profit, integrated healthcare delivery system, the largest in Maryland and the Washington, D.C., region. Nationally recognized for clinical quality in heart, orthopaedics, cancer and GI.

IMPORTANT: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain information that is private, confidential, or protected by attorney-client or other privilege. If you received this e-mail in error, please delete it from your system without copying it and notify sender by reply e-mail, so that our records can be corrected... Thank you.

Help conserve valuable resources - only print this email if necessary.