[Koha] Marc21 uniform-title and koha

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 05:42:07 NZST 2015

On 9/22/2015 6:48 PM, Gaetan Boisson wrote:
> So we would have this in the bibliographic record :
> 100 0\  $9authid $aHomer.
> 240 10 $9authid $aIliad
>
> And this in the authority record :
> 001  authid
> 100  $aHomer $tIliad
>
> I would have thought that the 240 should be linked to an uniform title
> record (with the header in 130), but this kind of authority cannot have
> an author name. http://www.loc.gov/marc/bibliographic/bd130.html
>
>  From what i understand, we should be filling both 100 and 240 in the
> biblio from the 100 in the authority in this situation, with subfields
> from the authority going in different subfields in the bibliographic
> record (namely the $t will end up in a $a). As far as i know, Koha
> really doesn't do that.

As far as how it works in Koha, I haven't got a clue--in Koha or any
other ILS. In my own opinion, MARC21 has been wrong for a long, long
time because it splits the 100$a$t in the authority records into 1xx/240
in the bibliographic records. I have been told that the reason is very
old (from the 1960s) that it was the only way to allow search and
display of authors and titles separately. This was from the card
catalog, where you could search for the author as main entry or the main
title. In the added entries, it was always a matter that you had to
search the author's name and the title did not work.

Of course, we are well into the second decade of the 21st century, and
these things should be taken care of.

In short: I don't know. Other, wiser heads will have to help!

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
First Thus http://blog.jweinheimer.net
First Thus Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus
Personal Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/james.weinheimer.35