[Koha] Fwd: RFP: 3rd NAKUG/KohaNA meeting

Paul A paul.a at navalmarinearchive.com
Fri Nov 20 11:32:20 NZDT 2015

At 03:40 PM 11/19/2015 -0600, glaws wrote:
>Concession: there is sometimes, and possibly in this case, the tendency
>to equate North America (23 countries per Wikipedia) with the United
>States. That is more a careless, linguistic peccadillo, I suggest, than
>a felony warranting a call-to-arms.

Very respectfully, <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America> lists 45
countries (colourful table about 20% down the page)[1] including what
"old-fashioned me" used to call "Central America" and "the Caribbean."
North America is, at the very least, Canada, the USA, St Pierre et Miquelon
and Greenland.

The phrase "Koha North America User's Group would like to invite agencies
and libraries located within the United States to host its third annual
meeting" is *NOT* a "linguistic peccadillo", it is an explicitly
discriminatory invitation.

Paul
[1] Including, btw, La Navasse which is seen by most historians as an
anomalous US land-grab under the Guano Islands Act of 1856 which allows the
US President to "consider as appertaining to the United States" any piece
of real estate covered in ... guano.