[Koha] Editor forcing Default fields into other frameworks

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Fri Nov 20 08:26:42 NZDT 2015

I don't know if this is a new quirk, or I just haven't noticed it before.

I was looking at a bibliogrpahic record that was in the wrong framework
(Default, when it should have been Serials).   I switched the view to
Serials framework and it looked fine. Then I opened the record for
editing.  It switched back to the Default framework, and added some fields
we don't use in serials.  One of these is marked as required. I changed the
framework back to serials, and tried to save it, but the required field
from the Default framework (blank because there is no information to go in
this field for Serials) caused it to throw up an error message and it would
not save. I can't delete the field either. This means I can't change the
framework associated with the record.

Testing it with other items -Editing any record that is in the Default
framework will force (empty) Default framework fields into the record even
after  you change the framework. There is no information in these fields in
the original record. If the field is mandatory in Default it will become
mandatory in the new framework, even if it doesn't actually exist in that
framework.

Any thoughts? Should I file a bug? I am (only just) restraining myself from
turning off the mandatory status of the field in the Default framework,
only because we're not supposed to edit it.

--
Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler