[Koha] Koha SIP Server Loses Connection on 11 checkout request

Justin jsslade at hotmail.com
Tue May 12 09:46:37 NZST 2015

Sebastian Hierl <s.hierl at ...> writes:

> We just had a similar and previously unobserved issue with our RFID
system
> (3M) -- checkout was delayed by up to 50 seconds.  After a lot of
testing
> and considering every possible issue with our data, such as date
formats,
> duplicate userid, lack of cardnumbers, etc. and investigating every
> possible connection problem between the selfcheck machines and the
server,
> we finally figured out the cause:
>
> 1) *some* of our patrons had an expiration date of 9999 and Koha took
ca.
> 50 seconds to run date calculations on the expiration date... after
> lowering the expiration dates, the problem was solved.
>
> 2) this did not turn out to be the problem but may help to be aware
of: the
> timeout period on our sip devices was set to 15 seconds--with Koha
taking
> over 50 seconds to calculate the expiration date, the transaction
failed.
> It was only after increasing the timeout period to one minute that we
> noticed that the transaction actually completed.
>
> In retrospect, it's all obvious. It would be good to store such
experiences
> and resolutions somewhere so that the community can do a search and
find
> solutions quickly.
>
> Sebastian
>
> --
> Sebastian Hierl, Ph.D.
> Drue Heinz Librarian, Arthur & Janet C. Ross Library
> American Academy in Rome
> Via Angelo Masina 5
> 00153 Rome
> Italy
>
> T: +39 06 5846 417
> F: +39 06 5810 788

Thank you for your response.

I checked the expiration date of the patrons and they are all set to
2023 so I don't believe it is the same issue.
The connection seems to be lost instantly. When I send an incorrect SIP
message, for example just 11 without any of the other required data I
get the same result where the connection is dropped. I would expect a
96.

Thanks
Justin