[Koha] Use koha as a reference database

CConner cconner at esri.com
Tue Jul 14 06:00:42 NZST 2015

The issue I have with using 773 for analytic records is combining all the
source info into one field does not allow for proper export into
bibliographic software such as EndNote, Zotero, or Refworks.

This is a record for an article I exported in RIS (this is from Heather's
library as ours maps RIS tags differently):

TY  - BOOK
AU  - Bates, Robert S.
TI  - The marine licensing tradition: what are those ships?
PY  - 1998///
CY  - Harrisburg, PA
PB  - Cowles Enthusiast Media
KW  - Merchant mariners
KW  - Licenses
KW  - Engraving
KW  - Illustrations
ER  -

The article is now a book and there is no source info for the journal (773 t
& g: Nautical world Vol. 1, no. 5 (June 1998), p. 38-43).

The export plugin from ByWater that we have corrects most of this in our
bibliography but we had to separate 773g to 363abc so that I could map the
RIS tags to fields with the data parsed correctly.

What I found when I first started this project was that others are using
Koha as a bibliography with analtyic records but I never found anyone using
the Koha export to RIS or BIBTEX who could relate to my issues.

Colleen Conner
Corporate Library, Esri