[Koha] Fwd: Converting MARC 21 from AACR2 to RDA

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Wed Jul 8 04:35:33 NZST 2015

Hi!

We have a similar collection to Paul's naval and marine archive, I
think--we have over 34,000 titles in our Koha catalog and we are not a
lending library (although some materials do circulate to staff).  I was
surprised to read your message, Paul, about your finding a search speed
penalty with 3.18.x--we haven't experienced any degrade in search speed,
and are now on 3.18.06.  I'm sorry that I can't provide any technical
details on this, though--our Koha catalog is hosted and supported by
ByWater, so perhaps if you contacted them they could provide you some
information on our installation?

The feature in 3.18.x that we're using the most (if I remember correctly
about when it was included!) is the advanced item search--it's so handy!
It's been very useful for us.  The adaptations for RDA have also been very
useful for us, but perhaps we find this more useful than others, since we
contribute to OCLC and all our original cataloging is in RDA.

Cheerio!
--h2
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
415-561-7032, heather_hernandez at nps.gov
http://www.nps.gov/safr/learn/historyculture/museum-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg