[Koha] Importing Authority data

Bohdan Šmilauer b.smilauer at post.cz
Thu Jan 22 14:00:39 NZDT 2015

Hello Mr. Rivikantha,

I followed similar way in Koha 3.14 as you did. If you have for disposal
separate Authorities files for authors, corporations, geographic, topics,
chronological, meetings, genre/forms, ... import them as first in compressed
format ISO 2709 (.mrc). Convert it to UTF-8 coding. For this you can use
MarcEdit Program http://marcedit.reeset.net/tutorials. This authorities
files can have additional useful information (e.g. Narrower term, Broader
term, Relative term, UsedFor term, Use term, Biographic data for authors,
etc. abide to MARC21 Authority standard, see http://www.loc.gov/marc/
authority/). Authorities during the import are newly numbered in the field
001 beginning with 1, followed by 2, 3, 4 ....etc. After this import, you
will be able to search them in OPAC Authority search. They are stored in the
MySQL table auth_header and contemporary  they are indexed by Zebra. You
must wait appx.. 10 min. until the cron job planned in /var/spool/cron/
crontabs/root  (*/10 * * * *  __KOHA_USER__  $KOHA_CRON_PATH/../migration_
tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -b -a -z >/dev/null) rebuilds Zebra indexes. You can
display your crontabs by command

/var/spool/cron/crontabs# crontab -u root -l  . Check this step by searching
in imported Authorities.

Then import Bibliographic records in the format ISO2709 to Koha, with system
preference AutoCreateAuthorities = NoAllow and BiblioAddsAuthorities =
NoAllow. No new authorities will then be added.

Then set preference UseAuthoritiesForTracings =  Don't use authority record
numbers instead of text strings for searches from subject tracings.

Then run the script link_bibs_to_authorities.pl in this manner:

# export PERL5LIB=$PERL5LIB:/usr/share/koha/lib

# export KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/sites/name_of_koha_instance/koha-conf.xml

# /usr/share/koha/bin/link_bibs_to_authorities.pl

This should  compare text in Biblio (fields 100$a, 110$a, 650$a,..etc) with
Authority texts. If it matches, the number of Authority will be added to $9
subfield in biblio fields100, 110, 111, ...650,....etc) and these are the
desired links. If some Authorities are missing in authority database after
that, you can create them setting the preferences:

AutoCreateAuthorities = Allow and BiblioAddsAuthorities = Allow and run
again

# /usr/share/koha/bin/link_bibs_to_authorities.pl

The missing authorities will be created in simplest form, but each
bibliorecord will crate its own authority, so that many of them will be the
same and will be multiplied for several times, e.g. topics. Don't be
unhappy, you can  unify them by setting preference linkermodule=LastMatch
and by repeating the script. for several times:  # /usr/share/koha/bin/link_
bibs_to_authorities.pl . The last occurrence  of authority will be used many
times, the earlier occurrence 0 times (unused). Then run the script # /usr/
share/koha/bin/migration_tools/remove_unused_authorities.pl aut=TOPIC (PERSO
_NAME, MEETI_NAME,  see table auth_types in MySQL)

The unused authorities should disappear. That is all, how simple!

Best Regards

Bohdan Smilauer

Prague

Czechia, EU