[Koha] Importing (incomplete) data from Micro Librarian Systems

MisterRobe library at parklane-is.com
Thu Jan 22 03:00:43 NZDT 2015

Hi all,
I am a (British) school librarian based in an International School in
Prague, the Czech Republic, and I am looking into a move to Koha over the
next year or so.
Currently I use an ILS from  Micro Librarian Systems
<http://www.microlib.co.uk/>  . It appears to be the standard in British
schools.
I can export data to:

Comma separated values
Tab separated values
and XML data
An example of the first of the above is the following:
Barcode,Class,Author,Title,Media,URL"04431","599.4","Cullis,
Megan","Bats","Hardback",""
Which, you can see, lacks some basic information including ISBN,
tags/keywords etc. etc. My present system also uses five digit bar codes. I
don't know how this would play on the Koha system.
I have looked a little into Koha and can understand that .mrk is the format
used natively by Koha. I will be looking into the possibility of persuading
my provider to export more data and assume that until this is the case, I
would struggle to import meaningfully into Koha. If anybody knows any
different or has experienced any such problem before, I would be grateful
for any help. I have some experience with Python and would possibly be able
to write some basic code to handle reformatting if I were able to get a
fuller export, but any tips from those who have been in similar positions
would be very handy.
Meanwhile, I hope I may one day become a regular to these pages and would
like to thank the community in advance for any replies and any help in
transferring to Koha and open source solutions.
Cheers,
Rob