[Koha] Koha development

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Fri Feb 13 06:03:09 NZDT 2015

Le 12/02/2015 15:07, Marshall Breeding a écrit :
> To the Koha development community,
Hi Marshall,
> Could each of the support firms or individuals involved in Koha development please either post to this list or send to me individually the FTE that you or your organization contributes for each of the major categories of activity?

Really : it's impossible to evaluate properly.
some numbers can be evaluated, some can't.

For example, BibLibre :
  * has Jonathan working full time on Koha. Half time dedicated to the
community, half time dedicated to development sponsored by customers
(but still on Koha, and for a direct benefit of the Koha community). So,
OK, jonathan = 1 FTE
  * has Fridolin being Release Maintainer. He releases a version every
month (4 hours to package it, roughly), plus a variable number of hours
to push patches (between 1 and 10 ? it depends on what is waiting to be
pushed. Let's say an average of 5 hours). 1 version every month, 9 hours
per version = 9*12 = 118 (this number is wrong, it's an estimate)
  * has a support team of 3 (including fridolin), that regularly submit
bugfixes. Frankly, we don't count the specific time dedicated to fixing
a bug and submitting a patch vs the time dedicated to the customer.
  * has other developers regularly submitting patches (julian, matthias,
...)
  * has me ... who does not submit patches anymore, but I'm trying to
organize all the work at BibLibre, do some non-dev things for the
community. Should I count this ? I think yes, because (I hope), the
project also move through non technical work.
  * has all our staff participate to the hackfest in Europe, 1 full week
in march = 17*40 ?
  * has 2 or more ppl going to the KohaCon every year.

Overall, I really really can't calculate the involvment of BibLibre as
you ask, I'm sorry. Maybe saying 3 FTE is a rough-not-illogic estimate,
but it's an estimate !

HTH

--
Paul Poulain, Associé-gérant / co-owner
BibLibre, expert du logiciel libre pour les bibliothèques