[Koha] Another Library using Koha online!

Witoszynskyj Stephan stephan at wito.org
Tue Feb 3 08:11:15 NZDT 2015

Hi,

thanks!

Just in case somebody is interested: a very helpful resource was https://sometimesmotion.wordpress.com/ Basically, the jQuery tricks I use to integrate our web-site into Koha are based on the info I found on this site. Btw. I think it would be really cool if Koha’s OPACmainUserBlock gets more flexible in the future. Maybe allowing some sort plugin system. IMHO the jQuery solution is working, but it is an awful hack. :-)

Katrin Fischer helped me to solve the multilingual web-interface by answering my questions on this list. http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2014-September/040807.html

The word cloud containing the authors is based on http://peekaboo-vision.blogspot.co.at/2012/11/a-wordcloud-in-python.html While the cloud generated by this code is an image, the sentence "PS: yes, this doesn't generate css / html4. But as you get the text sizes and positions, it should be easy to use this as a backend to generate a html page.“ got me working on the code. Well, the solution is a bit of a hack and not perfect, but it’s kind of working. So, if someone is interested in the code, let me know.

The slide show uses Jssor http://www.jssor.com/ which is extremely flexible and let you use almost any kind of HTML code in a slide.

Finally, I wrote some cronjobs that create the pages/slides containing newly acquired and newly catalogued books and the list of authors (using the Lingua::Translit perl module http://search.cpan.org/dist/Lingua-Translit/ for automatic transliteration of authors in cyrillic script) and the respective word cloud.

I already have another little project in mind that I would like to work on as soon time permits (as I mentioned my focus will be on cataloguing and a few things in our Koha configuration still needs some attention). So, what I would like to develop is a cronjob that regularly posts newly acquired/catalogued books to our library's Facebook page. I did some research on this already and it shouldn’t be too hard to implement.

Cheers,
  Stephan