[Koha] [Koha North America] Your suggestions for a new name of Koha NA

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Tue Dec 22 03:02:24 NZDT 2015

I think everyone needs to pause and reflect on what the goal of this
process is, because we seem to be continuing to dig this hole deeper
instead of climbing out.

> all face-to-face meetings will be
> held within the contiguous U.S. to ensure that U.S. Koha users have a
> better chance to attend them (for many, travel outside of the U.S. is
> prohibited).

The goal of this process is to define the terms of a Koha user group
which meets within the contiguous United States. This narrow
definition is of the location of the meetings, not of those who are
welcome in the group.

This rule about meeting locations is not made in order to be
exclusionary, but in order to create more opportunities for U.S.
members to participate. The United States is big, travel is expensive,
and libraries don't like to spend money.

I would encourage everyone to make suggestions which don't have "North
America" or "America" as a basis. Both terms include areas which are
outside the contiguous United States and thus explicitly excluded.
Take a look at the maps:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_America
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas

Terms like "North America" and "America" are WHY we're hot water in
the first place.

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer