[Koha] Modifying the Add New Patron Form/Fields

Bob Birchall bob at calyx.net.au
Tue Dec 15 18:20:42 NZDT 2015

On 15/12/15 15:59, Evan Mungai Njoroge wrote:
> One of my client wants me to add additional fields on the patrons form for
> new users like Department, Unit, Section etc that are not currently
> included. I proposed use of extended attributes but they insisted on having
> them flow within the form rather than have them at the bottom.
>
> Does anyone know how I can add those fields using a JQuery code or any
> other means; or do I have to edit the source code and how do I edit the
> source code.
>
> I am using Ubuntu 14.04; Koha 3.18 installed on packages.
>

> Evan
What you want to achieve requires development.  Changing the source code
just for this client is a bad idea.  It will become a problem for you at
every upgrade.

If performing the development, do use the community's development
process [1] so that others can comment on the changes you are making;
that will enhance their chances of being included in a future release of
Koha.

Having said that, I suspect that when you tell the client the likely
full cost of the proposed development, they will suddenly see the wisdom
of your original recommendation, and agree to use the extended
attributes, which are provided for exactly that purpose.

Best of luck,
Bob Birchall
Calyx

[1] http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Development_workflow