[Koha] Electronic Resource URLs - Authentication

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 06:41:50 NZST 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 11:28 PM, Elaine Bradtke <eb at efdss.org> wrote:
> We've been considering various options. For us it's a matter of some
> material kept on an in house server that should be local access only. We're
> looking at controlling access via the user's IP address, or requiring a
> login.  So we are quite interested in how others have approached this.

Recently I setup something similar for a client. It required me to
write an external squid authentication helper that read the user creds
and perms (patron category, expiry, debarment etc) off the borrowers
table. I added a couple of extra fields to support the proxy auth
functions, and a separate table to log login/sessions. A custom .kpz
plugin helped helped to manage the users and generate reports as
required. Served over SSL, it seems to be able to serve their purpose.

cheers
-indranil

> On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Craig Butosi <craig.butosi at rcmusic.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Running Koha 3.20.02 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with Apache 2.4.7.
>>
>> I had a question about the authentication of electronic resource links in
>> Koha. I'd like to explore a method of managing access to links to
>> e-resources (856 fields)  that would (1) prevent an anonymous user from
>> navigating to the full-text of an e-resource via the 856 link; and (2) to
>> show an 856  link to the full-text of an e-resource to authenticated users.
>> I am thinking here of how universities and colleges manage their
>> e-resources (i.e., allow registered students access to e-content but
>> denying unauthorized access from unofficial users). The problem is that
>> I've never talked with anyone who could explain how this is done generally.
>> I'm sure it varies across institutions.
>>
>> So, can Koha (presumably with server-side software) do this, and how can
>> it be done? Is this what CAS or SIP2 is for?
>>
>> Hope this is clear. Happy to provide more info. This is not my area, but
>> I'd like to explore further. Feel free to point me to info resources on
>> this too.
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>

>> Craig Butosi, MA, MLIS, B Mus (Hons.)
>> LIBRARY SERVICES MANAGER
>> the royal conservatory
>> TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning
>> 273 Bloor Street West
>> Toronto, ON M5S 1W2
>> 416.408.2824 x338
>> www.rcmusic.ca<http://www.rcmusic.ca/>
>>

>> Note: This email message and any attachments are intended only for the use
>> of the individual to which it is addressed, and may contain information
>> that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under
>> applicable law. If the recipient of this email is not the intended
>> recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the email to
>> the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review,
>> dissemination, distribution or copying or other use of this message is
>> strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error,
>> please notify the sender immediately by return email and delete this
>> message and attachments from your system, thank you.

> Elaine Bradtke
> Data Wrangler
> VWML
> English Folk Dance and Song Society | http://www.efdss.org
> Cecil Sharp House, 2 Regent's Park Road, London NW1 7AY
> Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
> Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
> an e-mail first. I work off site)

Indranil Das Gupta

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg