[Koha] Slash (/) following title

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 01:22:45 NZST 2015

On 12/08/2015 14.19, Owen Leonard wrote:
> It may be standard, and it may be correct as far as cataloging is
> concerned, but that doesn't mean it necessarily looks right to the
> general public using the catalog.

As happens so often, when you take something out of its "native habitat"
it can look strange. In the older (obsolete?) ISBD display the slash and
other punctuation are OK. E.g.

Transports : travel, pleasure, and imaginative geography, 1600-1830 /
edited by Chloe Chard and Helen Langdon. - viii, 341 pages :
illustrations ; 26 cm.

I never met anyone who was bothered by the punctuation or even noticed
any of it.

But, when you "change the environment" you see:

Transports : travel, pleasure, and imaginative geography, 1600-1830 /
by Chard, Chloe; Langdon, Helen.

the hanging slash is a punch in the face, although probably nobody would
really care about the : (colon) between the title-subtitle. But if the
display was:

Transports :
travel, pleasure, and imaginative geography, 1600-1830 /
by Chard, Chloe; Langdon, Helen.

people would notice the hanging : and think that was weird too.

The Belgian painter Rene Magritte was really good at taking normal,
everyday things and putting them in strange situations, so that they
become weird.
http://www.mattesonart.com/Data/Sites/1/magritte/Hegel's%20Holiday.jpg
or
http://www.renemagritte.org/images/paintings/personal-values.jpg

The punctuation is similar. When not in an ISBD display, it should
probably be removed.

James Weinheimer weinheimer.jim.l at gmail.com First Thus
http://blog.jweinheimer.net First Thus Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus Cooperative Cataloging Rules