[Koha] Musical Instruments and Catalogs

Indranil Das Gupta indradg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 15:52:51 NZST 2015

Hi Buddy,

On Sat, Aug 8, 2015 at 8:57 AM, Buddy Hale
<libraryofmusiclandria at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Today is my first day using Koha.

Great! Welcome aboard :)

> I want to build a catalog for my library which consist of musical
> instruments. I noticed that the catalog doesn't have an option for musical
> instruments and was wondering if anyone had any input on how to build a
> musical instrument catalog from scratch in Koha.

Koha uses MARC21 standard to catalog items. And no, these do not have
to be books, in fact people often catalog items like walking sticks,
wheelchairs, historical weapons collections and what nots using MARC.

As bare essentials, what you need to do is to setup a MARC framework
paying close attention to the 00X control fields. This link should
help you start off -
http://manual.koha-community.org/3.20/en/catadmin.html

Mind you the above is a non-trivial exercise which requires an
understanding of MARC21 fields, sub-tags and terminology involved as
well as their Koha specific dependencies. Unless you are a trained
librarian, you may want the help of one to setup MARC side of things
for you.

Later on using jquery you can setup your intranetuserjs,
intranetusercss, opacuserjs and opacusercss system preferences to
customize a whole lot of your Koha instance's UI.

> More specifically, I want to add items like "Drum Set", "Keyboard" and
> "Guitar".

http://manual.koha-community.org/3.20/en/basicparams.html#itemtypeadmin

The manual is your friend! :)

cheers,

--
Indranil Das Gupta
L2C2 Technologies

Phone : +91-98300-20971
Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
Twitter : indradg