[Koha] Data Conversion from Libsys to Excel for Koha, Newgenlib, Evergreen etc.

Vinod Kumar Mishra vinod_librarian at rediffmail.com
Tue Oct 21 17:41:32 NZDT 2014

Dear All,

The following are the General steps to get your libsys data in excel format for final conversion into Marc format to switching into other ILMS software. Please note that there are several other tips and tricks which you can use to convert your libsys data in excel, so that you can migrate in some other desired software like Koha, Newgenlib, Evergreen etc. The reports module given under Cataloging/Circulation/Serial of Libsys software can be used to get the data in Excel format. In-case you are not getting subject heading than it can be added at the time of excel data conversion as well as you can also group together all the same titles, but you should have at least ISBN/ISSN number in your records. Marc editor (http://marcedit.reeset.net/downloads ) is wonderful software which not only converts your data in marc format but it also gives you opportunity to make your data standard before importing in new ILMS. In case of any help needed in this regard please feel free to contact. We have implemented the Koha software at various libraries and found Libsys is the only software which does not have option/permit to export the data in Marc format however this have option to Import in any format (It allow you to come inside the room but does not allow you easily to go out side the room)!!! . The link of the help file is given below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2Cmcc6xutSgWFFHWnV0TjVlYUk/view?usp=sharing

I hope my colleague Mr. DP Tripathi may make good video on this for sharing.

Thanking You

With regards,
Vinod Kumar Mishra,
Assistant Librarian,