[Koha] Parsing barcodes

Galen Charlton gmc at esilibrary.com
Sat Oct 18 06:45:06 NZDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM, Jeramey Valley <valleyj at bcreek.org> wrote:
> Thanks for the suggestion of modifying the items in Koha.
> One of the issues is that we don't know which materials have the "funky"
> barcodes, so there is no list to pull up and modify in Koha. We don't know
> until a material is physically examined if it has a regular or modified bar
> code. The rough guess is that about half of the materials have different
> bar code formatting.

In that case, three other approaches occur to me:

[1] Inventory time!

[2] Customize the barcodedecode() function in C4/Circulation.pm to add
another ItemBarcodeInputFilter mode.  Your situation may ore may not
be common enough for you to also submit the changes as a patch to the
community.  Pro: you can munge the barcodes exactly how you need them
to. Con: it's a customization to account for each time you upgrade.

[3] Write some JavaScript to add to the intranetuserjs system
preference to munge item barcode values prior to submitting them to
the checkout and checkin forms.  Pro: The customization doesn't need
to be reapplied after each upgrade, although it may need to be checked
in case the structure of the circulation forms changes. Con: May take
more time to implement than adding another ItemBarcodeInputFilter
mode.

Regards,

Galen
--