[Koha] A Road Map for Koha

David Cook dcook at prosentient.com.au
Mon Nov 10 14:00:39 NZDT 2014

Hi Bob:

That sounds like a great idea. I've been keen on a Road Map for a while now.

I also like the idea of the two new roles. I'm not volunteering for either,
but I think it would be rather useful to have people in those shoes!

David Cook
Systems Librarian
Prosentient Systems
72/330 Wattle St, Ultimo, NSW 2007

based.
> The idea is to present a list of features that are planned for future
releases,
> with just a couple of lines of description of each.
> Each heading can link to another page to provide a full RFC.  Present in
the
> discussion were Chris C, Paul P, Arnaud, Jonathan, Katrin, Brendan, Joy,
> Tomas, Bernardo and BobB. We agreed on the following proposal:
>
> 1.  To maintain a road map for Koha - that is not time based.
> 2.  The road map is to address both features and architecture.
> 3.  The monthly general meeting following each major release will consider
> updates to the road map.
> 4.  However maintenance of the road map can be a continuous process.
>
> This led to discussion of the state of the wiki and also to ways of
promoting
> the project more broadly.  (We noted some recent press releases from the
> major closed source companies, announcing features that have been in Koha
> since, in one example, 2000!  So we felt its a problem that we don't
promote
> more what Koha already does.)
>
> Therefore we propose two new roles in the community release team. These
> are roles that could be effectively filled by librarians (one for each
role, or a
> team), allowing developers to keep developing.
>
> _Wiki Curator_
> - a lot of work needs to be done to clean up the wiki;
> - could also participate (with some developers) in updating the wiki
> technology;
> - the role is not seen as a controller of wiki content or as being
required to
> approve content, rather it is a curation task:  moving stuff around,
keeping it
> tidy, collaborating with the wiki contributors (So, looking at stuff and
asking:
> Is this correct? Does it need to be updated?  Should it be moved?
Renamed?