[Koha] Koha Maintenance Policies

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Mar 18 05:21:48 NZDT 2014

We have some unwritten rules:

   - Back everything up before you make any changes (this should be
   engraved in stone).
   - Apply all security updates immediately.
   - Wait a couple weeks after a major release to apply new versions, and
   then apply it to the test system first and make sure it runs as expected.
    Only then should you apply it to the production system.
   - Never, ever make any changes right before either member of the Koha
   team is due to be off grid for any length of time (learned that one the
   hard way).
   - Make all changes to the production system when the library is closed,
   and with enough time that you can back it out and reinstate the old system
   if there's a problem (remember the backups?) before the library reopens.
   - Test the production system before the library reopens. Do not assume
   that since it worked on the test site it will be fine in production.
    Especially if you're working late at night, mistakes happen, and it's
   tempting to skip this.
   - Inform the staff of new releases and ask them to contact you if they
   see any problems or unexpected behaviour (because all the testing we do may
   not replicate something they do).

It's usually a fairly smooth process, and most of the glitches were because
we skipped a step. The IT person now has a checklist of the tasks he needs
to do to make sure Koha is upgraded without a problem. This will vary with
each installation, depending on any customizations you have done, etc.

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 10:32 AM, vikram zadgaonkar <
vikramczadgaonkar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate more what you need?
>
> Vikram Zadgaonkar
>

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:50 PM, enquiries.sevillelibrary <
> enquiries at sevillelibrary.org.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Koha has been setup and running for a while now in our library and we are
> > currently writing a guide/policy on data and system maintenance to ensure
> > Koha keeps "ticking over". Has anyone written such guide/policy and
> willing
> > to share?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Tom - enquiries at sevillelibrary.org.uk

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML
Tel    +44 (0) 20 7485 2206 (This number is for the English Folk Dance and
Song Society in London, England. If you wish to phone me personally, send
an e-mail first. I work off site)