[Koha] Connecting Library of Congress CLASSIFICATION WEB service to KOHA

Hernandez, Heather heather_hernandez at nps.gov
Tue Jun 10 09:05:03 NZST 2014

Hi--

MNashbat at alfaisal.edu<mailto:> > MNashbat at alfaisal.edu
<MNashbat at alfaisal.edu>>> wrote:
Recently we subscribed to the Library of Congress CLASSIFICATION WEB
service, but we couldn't figure out how to connect it to KOHA to be able to
download the MARC records, if anyone knows about it, please help us to make
the proper settings for it.

Are you asking about MARC classification or MARC bibliographic records?  As
far as I'm aware, MARC bibliographic records are not available from
Classfication Web (and I don't believe the MARC classification records are
available for download via ClassWeb, either).  Classification Web only
provides access to online Library of Congress Classification schedules and
other tools for assigning LC Call numbers (which is what we use it for).
So, yes--it's a very different service from LC's free Z39.50.

If you're interested in obtaining MARC bibliographic records, then I
believe you really do want to use the Z39.50 interface to LC.  LC provides
bibliographic records for free this way--they don't charge for their
bibliographic records via this interface.

I hope this helps--I'm not sure I'm understanding your question clearly.

Cheers,
Heather
Heather Hernandez
Technical Services Librarian
San Francisco Maritime National Historical Park Research Center
heather_hernandez at nps.gov
415-561-7032 (voice)       415-556-3540 (fax)
http://www.nps.gov/safr/historyculture/museum-collections.htm

"The sailor does not pray for wind, he learns to sail."--Gustaf Lindborg